Subject: Re: Pets and opera
From: patrick byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 16 Nov 2012 09:48:36 -0500

I currently am showing an Afghan Hound bitch I bred, Grand Champion La
Callas of Bybur. In the past I have had the same breed with names like Bellini,
Diva, Aida, Corelli, Nabucco, Tolomeo, Rossini.

A favorite breed related story occured many years ago on the West Coast. A
breeder friend was solicited to provide a pair of gorgeous cream silver Afghan
Hounds for a production of Aida. Being show dogs, all the bustle of on stage
rehearsals went off smoothly and the exotic pair fit right in with the chariots,
horses, and pomp that make the triumphal scene so riveting.

On opening night as the enormous chorale swelled to that ultimate crescendo,
suddenly a pair of previously unheard voices gave forth with a wailing howl
that topped even the clarion voiced singers. The hysteria from the audience
that followed was a rare mix of clapping and laughing.

Patrick C. Byrne
Afghans of Bybur