Subject: Re: Melody: a new Tosca's great leap forward
From: Kirsten Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 16 Nov 2012 00:10:46 -0800

As of 2 weeks ago, Gheorghiu was not at the rehearsal so I am guessing that
Melody Moore sang most of the rehearsals with the first cast. Moore did sing
a very moving vissi d'arte and received a well-deserved ovation.

After 43 minutes of the first act, followed by 40 minutes of intermission
with Gheorghiu & the parametics - Unfortunate punch line of the evening was
Scarpia in the beginning of act II singing "Alia cantata ancor manca la
diva(THE DIVA IS MISSING)" which made the audience burst out laughing given
the whole situation.

I am more surprised that she showed up than got ill after the first act -
Gheorghiu did look a bit pale and quite skinny but sounded quite good and
looked incredible. I hope the illness is nothing serious and she'll recover
soon. I am going to 4 out of 6 performances she's scheduled to sing and hope
that eventually I get to hear her sing all 3 acts although it may not happen
on the same day....

Kirsten