Subject: Lamenting the loss of Brad Wilber's Met Futures Page
From: Val Suan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 20 Nov 2012 12:03:46 -0800

I just posted a commentary on Mr. Brad Wilber's Facebook page how I miss his MetOperaForecasting...like an operatic crystal ball that we all can possibly gaze into the future. Most singers do not want to tell a soulwhat, where, when they are singing a possible role (because, helloooo? management says so, no blabbing of the mouth before the official press release, because, this and that reason, whatever...) , with the exception of a very excited Renee Fleming during the Nov. 29, 1999 (well, it was the Friday or Sat after the American Thanksgiving Holiday). The place: Chicago's Symphony Center (home of the CSO), the time: intermission and the what: mezzo-soprano Marilyn Horne final "classical" recital that afternoon. She sang a most endearing "Se pieta" from Handel's GIULIO CESARE that moved me to tears.

Ok, I digress. La Fleming, whom I normally asked when she's coming back to Houston (I was then living there) at the Grainger Ballroom of Symphony Hall/Center (second floor, usually for soirees, and pre-concert talks, lovely space)...grabbed hold of both of my hands, totally surprising me and blurted in soft girlish hushed excited tones: Violetta!  I couldn't move...I said, Oh my F++KING god...this is JUST gonna make New York super green with envy. So, I did more research and sent out feelers to cyberspace and got the time frame : spring of 2003.  The American diva fulfilled her promise, singing ALL of SEVEN published performances at Houston Grand Opera making operatic history. I was there for her Violetta role debut and kissed her hand backstage after the la prima notte (first night). Meanwhile, I saw a huge emerald lined with diamonds on her hand. Rumor has it that Amazon.com Jeff Bezos gave her the bauble when they briefly dated. Now, both are
 happily married to different spouses.

I never told a soul that would DARE post or print ONLINE or mention in a newspaper, magazine or the Internet. I did email very close friends as soon as I got home shaking, placing them under strict oath and a "blood compact" that I will incinerate their souls if they ever blurt it out online, or gets published. Renee would NOT like that. Then about a year or so before the Houston Traviata role debut, some hack in Pittsburgh blurted it all out. The rest was history.

So, while perusing Mr. Wilber's lovely page, I saw this:

2015-2016 : ELEKTRA (NEW co-production with La Scala) with Waltraud Meier as Klytamnestra. Conductor: Esa-Pekka Salonen. Director: Patrice Chereau.

Now, if you guys have been paying much attention to my postings lately, you can put two and two together, hmmm?

Auf weidersehn, Lieblings... (Bye)

vs
aka Madame V (my new handle)...mysterious, friendly yet short!
chicago