Subject: Singing Technique
From: Stefan Zucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 20 Nov 2012 11:27:52 -0500

For background about Joseph Schmidt please visit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrV60dULYd8, where I hold forth on film about him.

If you want to see his tongue go up, visit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB3y8DMP2vg to view his "Una furtiva lagrima."

Theresa, on a couple of occasions I've watched Magda sing from four feet away. For example, in October 1996, I audited a master class she gave at the Amici del loggione, of La Scala. A student sang "Poveri fiori," with Olivero seated in the auditorium, on an aisle. When the student was done, while remaining seated Olivero sang the piece. I was seated on the opposite side of the aisle.

Dr. Marc Alan Innes, you disagree with Jean de Reszke, who held that the palate should be up only sometimes. (See his assistant Walter Johnstone Douglas's “Jean de Reszke’s Principles of Singing,” reprinted in “Clara Leiser's de Reszke bio.)

My point isn't that Jean de Reszke's right and you're not, but that when it comes to singing technique it's possible to find an eminent authority to contradict just about any pronouncement one might make. One would do well not to box oneself in with one God, one country, one singing technique.

Domingo? He uses mask placement. There's of course nothing unusual in that.

Stefan