Subject: Re: JOYCE DI DONATO - Carnegie recital
From: Evan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 19 Nov 2012 18:10:32 -0600

I was present at her preview of this concert in Kansas City last Friday
night. Unlike your NY audience, Kansas Citians were the model of
attentive listening and quite well behaved. Only the group's conductor (
concertmaster and frequent soloist,) was at all histrionic, the
remainder of the ensemble either sitting or standing comparatively still
during the recital. During a final number, which JDD labelled a baroque
hoedown, did she become rather playful, dancing a bit and adding a
do-see-do with the leader. Well....it was the 3rd or 4th encore and we
are her hometown crowd. Her final encore was a repeat of a rondo from an
earlier selection, the band having run out of music I suppose. A stellar
night. I ordered the CD the next day which has more vocals and leaves
out the orchestral interludes, though they were extremely well done here.

EG