Subject: Re: Johanna Gadski
From: "George B. Parous" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 25 Sep 2012 20:57:16 -0400

One of the more interesting facts I came across while documenting and
compiling what I believe to be a "complete" chronology of her American
performances, both in opera and concert, is the number of times she sang the
role of Micäela. Looking at her performances with the Met only, years ago I was
puzzled as to why this German dramatic soprano of the more "heroic" mold had
sung the smaller French role exactly once.

But after I had tracked down her performances with the Damrosch, then
Damrosch-Ellis, and, finally, Ellis companies, I found that the role had loomed
rather largely in her repertoire in the 1890s, and that she had sung the part
(almost always receiving excellent reviews) in cities including Philadelphia,
Boston, San Francisco, Chicago, Cincinnati, Louisville, Los Angeles,
Sacramento, Omaha, Minneapolis and elsewhere, in several locations more than
once. Her debut in the role took place in Philadelphia in early January 1897,
with none other than Calvé as the "guest artist" Carmen.

Also going back to the days of relying on the Met annals, I was surprised to
find elsewhere that she was singing Brünnhilde in “Die Walküre” and “Siegfried”
as early as December 1897.

I, too, find that Victor's constant experiments with recording techniques
rendered many of her commercial recordings less than impressive, and that her
Mapleson cylinders are quite thrilling.