Subject: Re: Last Night's Walkure
From: "A.C. Douglas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 8 May 2012 23:28:11 -0400

Donald Kane <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>There were boos for Chereau, but I don't recall them being as loud nor as
>prolonged as those for Lepage.

There was something vastly more telling than audience booing for the Chéreau
_Ring_ during its first run in 1976; something that had never occurred
before and has never occurred since: the entire orchestra walked out of
rehearsals and refused to return. It took all the considerable Wagner charm
and authority (wielded by Wolfgang, in this instance) to convince them to
return. At the close of the cycle, however, the orchestra made its feelings
known by refusing to join the conductor onstage as is the Bayreuth
tradition. (The conductor was Pierre Boulez who was largely responsible for
Chéreau being engaged as the Regie. The orchestra's action was against both
the conducting and the staging.)

>It [the Chéreau _Ring_] "looked" different from most traditional
>productions, but there was a stylistic consistency that seldom denied or
>contradicted Wagner's concept.

The Chéreau staging of the _Ring_ denied and contradicted Wagner's concept
from beginning to end. Worse, it denied Wagner's music throughout. It is the
Mother of all Eurotrash Wagner stagings. (But it is not, by any means, the
most grotesque, that honor belonging to either the Schlingensief 2004
Bayreuth _Parsifal_ or the Katharina Wagner 2007 Bayreuth _Meistersinger_ —
so far. Stay tuned for the Frank Castorf 2013 Bayreuth _Ring_).

--
ACD
http://www.soundsandfury.com/