Bluebeard's Castle - New World Center - Miami Beach - 28.April.2012

Sergio Da Silva <[log in to unmask]>

Sergio Da Silva <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 8 May 2012 23:28:56 -0400

text/plain

First of all let me make clear, I love Bluebeard's Castle it's one of my favorite operas.
The New World Ctr. is a perfect place to stage this opera because it's a concert hall but one with screens to all the sides of the stage, the screens look like huge sails, it's a very interesting architectural place designed by the same architect of the Disney Hall.

During the whole opera the images of the different doors that Judith needs to open were projected onto the screen's so when she sees the roses, they appear in different colors until she sees the blood and then the roses turn to red, this was the pattern for almost all the images. Very graphic and effective.

The singers were excellent, starting by the Eric Halfvarson as the Bluebeard who had a really deep and resonant voice who sang with a lot of commitment offering great acting in spite of not being on a real stage. Michelle Deyoung as Judith was also very good, she suffered a little bit with the highest parts of the score but the lower notes were delivered with tremendous punch.

The orchestra was simply marvelous it's really hard to believe these are young players, and the conducting by Michael Thilson Thomas was excellent, superb even!

What a great pleasure and what a great performance!

Sent from my iPad