Subject: Romeo et Juliette Miami 21.April. 2012
From: Sergio Da Silva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 8 May 2012 23:14:15 -0400

I went to the opening night of Romeo and Juliet at the Miami Arsht Center for the performing arts it was an interesting performance although not very good.

The set designed by Erhard Rom, which I think was borrowed from Minnesota Opera, was a traditional one with large panels with big arcs so symbolizing the time of the story and the panels slid from side to side or to the front and back.

The production, directed by David Lefkowich, was a bit too busy, during the Act IV prelude  for example there was a pantomime of the fight between Romeo, Mercutio and Thibault and a Romeo, I thought that wasn't necessary, the audience should enjoy only the music at this point without any distraction. Similarly during the Poison area Juliet was assaulted by ghosts, I know it's in the libretto but it's a typical Shakespearean word play not to be taken to the letter.

The soprano, Maria Alejandres,  was a bit screechy I really don't know why the local criticc is so enamorated with her. Her voice sounded a bit heavy for the role, her best moment was the Poison aria where her commitment was really admirable.

The tenor, Sébastien Guèze,  who was French had the small voice and had to really put too much effort so the production in the middle of the voice was not pretty at all, he had all the high notes notwithstanding the lack of ping. He knew how to phrase the role, especially in terms of dynamics, the end of act 2 was nicely done.

The mezzo-soprano who sang Gertrude Cindy Sadler, had a nice voice that projected well but the other roles were not as ably taken.

Joseph , the conductor, was not good, he had trouble keeping the orchestra together, some of the instruments entered in the wrong place, some tempi were slow others too fast; the brass really sounded not good at all during the whole night.

In spite of the shortcomings the night was enjoyable mainly because of my daughter 10 years old who went with me, a seasoned opera goer she enjoyed it immensely and even cried when Mercutio died. I also took my mother-in-law and and in spite of not being to an opera in 20 years she also enjoyed it a lot.

Sent from my iPad