Subject: Re: appropriate/inappropriate?
From: kira <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 3 Apr 2012 18:31:26 -0400

Come on, folks, be a little fair here:  we are the ones who insist on the
sacred monster, the tenor who looks like a god, the soprano who doubles as a
model while at the same time bemoaning the hefty sized tenor who can't move
or the ship-sized soprano who can't budge. We have invented the star-driven
vehicle and raised a handful of singers to the stratisphere (warrented or
not).  Now all of a sudden you get your panties bunched because someone in
the audience shouts out the truth:  we have become stargazers and unless we
can see as well as hear the annointed few, we are not satisfied.

And here's the biggest surprise of all:  we allow our visual sense to
overrule our auditory sense a heck of a lot more often than we are willing
to admit.  If you objectively flip through past reviews from Opera-l folks,
you will see time and again how a poorly sung performance is nevertheless
praised highly because of the charisma, magnetism, appearance of the singer.

What about those of you who have insisted that each and every one of has the
right to ruin an evening for everyone else by booing if you are personally
disastified by a performance everyone else loved?

And shall I mention the cult of the personality?  We have developed a fetish
for certain performers that probably isn't altogether healthy but cannot be
denied.  It is more than likely that this audience member was just trying to
express his or her adoration of Kaufmann.  It happens.

I don't attend concerts because I find them boring but if I did, I would
want to be front and center for the precise reason of being able to see the
singers.  I wouldn't scream out if I couldn't, but I certainly wouldn't like
it and certainly would grumble a lot about it.  Especially if I had paid big
bucks for the tickets.  Bad form on the part of management to obscure the
performers or, as usual, to disregard the entertainment value to the
audience.  Why isn't anyone angry about performer placement that caused the
outburst?

Actually, I think the tenor made a huge mistake.  I think he should have
ignored the request rather than break out of the moment to call ever more
attention to the demand that he step forward.  In effect, he did grab the
spotlight for a moment, though I think in a most unfortunate way, and at the
same time humiliated the person who in all probably just wanted to show his
/ her affection.  Shameful behavior on his part. And inappropriate as well.

K-