Subject: Merrill Verdi Baritone
From: Roberta PRADA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 3 Apr 2012 11:01:59 -0400

>>> Merrill wasn't a great interpreter. In those roles where beautiful sing=
> ing and clear enunciation of text were enough to allow Verdi and his libret=
> tists to make the dramatic point, he did fine. Where the performer had to a=
> dd color and complexity of his own, I never saw it

OOPS  Just so you know, Merrill seems to have had ADD. So he could lose the words if he blew his concentration.

However, do not forget that in the very challenging role of Escamillo I never saw anyone who was his peer. Perhaps Tibbett comes to mind, but I never saw him, so I can't say. Animal magnetism can't be bought or faked.

RP