Subject: The Met Owns No Historical Treasures?
From: Mike Begley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 2 Apr 2012 13:54:57 -0500

In reviewing the Met's Form 990 on their website (Form 990 is the form required by the United States Internal Revenue Service for organizations not subject to income tax), as posted on the Met website, I found something that seems to make no sense.

One of the questions on the form (filed on behalf of the Metropolitan Opera Association) is:

8 - Did the organization maintain collections of works of art, historical treasures, or other similar assets?
To which the Met answered "NO".

Now, perhaps there is some other legal entity that owns the art and historical treasures in the house.  Or perhaps the Gelb administration doesn't think they are worth anything ...

In which case, I am happy to volunteer to relieve the Met of the burden of storing the costumes of Maria Callas, Rosa Ponselle, Tito Gobbi, Enrico Caruso, Feodor Chaliapin, Lawrence Tibbet, Leonard Warren and Robert Merrill.  I can arrange to have these, apparently (according the the Met management's attestation to the IRS), worthless objects sent to me at my expense so valuable space in the opera house no longer need be used.    I am sure other list members would likewise volunteer to accept other antique costumes which the current Met management apparently feels are of no value.

Regards,
Mike Begley