Subject: Re: OPERA-L Digest - 7 Apr 2012 - Special issue (#2012-513)
From: Benjamin Rochefort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 7 Apr 2012 20:57:42 -0400

Some random thoughts about today's MANON, which I saw/heard at the
cinema, along with the usual geriatric crowd (it really depresses me
each time I go, I guess I shouldn't care but still...) :

The sets were incredibly drab and ugly, and remind me of many
productions that I saw at the Bastille ten years ago : grey walls, few
props, stairs, etc... Always hated such productions. Laurent Pelly can
do much better, his BELLE HELENE which I saw at the Chatelet some years
ago (and which is available on DVD) is witty, fun, and beautiful to look at.

I love hearing French opera sung with perfect French diction, and
therefore really enjoyed Christophe Mortagne's performance as Guillot
(and he's a good actor too). Most of the principals had mushy diction
(though Beczala and Pittsinger were ok). As far as singing goes, I
really enjoyed Beczala's Chevalier Des Grieux.

Did I hear Deborah Voigt's tongue slip correctly when she mentioned
'high deficit' instead of 'high definition' ? Pretty funny if that's the
case :). Talking about intermission interviews, the ones today were
totally uninteresting, with none of the singers answering the questions
asked, nor making any sense besides uttering platitudes about how the
roles/colleagues/whatever were fantastic etc... The best part of the
interviews was the apparition of the Easter bunny (a lucky bunny indeed).

Some of the music I wasn't familiar with (the beginning of the
Cours-La-Reine scene with Poussette, Javotte and Rosette, also the
beginning of the Hôtel de Transsylvanie scene...). Are there different
editions of the score?

Cheers from Montreal,
Benjamin