Subject: Re: FLOREZ' ELISIR ENCORE ALREADY ON YOU-TUBE
From: Emily Webster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 1 Apr 2012 14:10:21 -0400

I don't think it's up to Dessay or Damrau to approve or disapprove someone
else's encore, they have to deal with it the same way they would deal with
any other delay, mechanical problems with the sets, singers falling ill
during a performance, substitutions, etc.

Of course they wished *they* were the ones asked to encore a piece so they
might become perhaps a bit annoyed or envious, which can even improve the
level of their own performance. So everyone wins, mostly the audience, who
alone should approve or disapprove an encore.

As for the flow of this particular opera, no. Una furtiva lagrima was
originally thought to stop the flow of the plot anyway, Donizetti had been
advised to drop it, even by Romani. He insisted on it and in fact the lyrics
were written by the composer, not Romani.

>Dear Opera Friends:
>     Some wonderful person sure didn't waste any time posting Florez'
encore of
>"Una Furtiva Lagrima" on You Tube.  It's all there and the volume level is
pretty
>high.  Also, you can hear his comments to the audience that "Miss Damrau is
>waiting to go on stage".  A lot of laughter, etc.
>     I must admit that while I was thrilled to hear this "happening" via
the Met
>broadcast today, I now understand why many opera companies discourage them.
>Yes, Florez sang magnificently, but the subsequent scream for an encore, and
>Mr. Florez' willingness to oblige, coupled with the repeated commotion that
>followed the repeat (albeit with an couple of new variants and a cadenza at
the
>end) actually disrupted the flow of the opera.  I also wonder how Diana Damrau
>felt about this (as well as Natalie Dessay in 2008 when Florez encored his
"Ah,
>mez amis").
>     Yes ---- it was exciting, and of course Mr. Florez has no peers today
in his
>particular repertoire ---- but, does granting the audience a "bis" cause a
problem
>with the other leading artists in a particular opera?  I'm posing a
question here
>and certainly not passing judgement.  Would I be correct to assume that Mr.
>Florez hopefully received the approval of both Miss Dessay in 2008, and of
Miss