Subject: Re: Robert Merrill
From: mb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 31 Mar 2012 06:02:16 -0400

That's certainly true about Merrill's "apocryphal stories."  In his
autobiography he describes in detail his exasperation singing Marcello
opposite Ljuba Welitsch's eccentrically willful Musetta at the Met. Only
problem: the baritone on duty that night was Paolo Silveri.

As for comparisons with Warren: both had glorious voices, to be sure, but
Warren, unlike Merrill, sang ravishing, sensitive mezza-voce phrases when
appropriate. Piano wasn't exactly Merrill's forte.

mb