Subject: Re: Robert Merrill - A Verdi Baritone?
From: Premiere Opera <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 31 Mar 2012 00:26:48 -0400

You don't sound negative, Bill. You sound truthful. There are certain
sounds that we enjoyed into the mid 70's that are gone and not one single
singer has come close to the beauty of the voices of the great singers from
the 50's, 60's, and 70's. For spinto tenors, it all ended in 1975, when
Tucker died and Corelli stopped singing. I could be wrong, but I don't
think Corelli sang a single performance at the Met after Tucker passed away
on January 8, 1975. And Tucker was singing much, much better than Corelli
from at least 1970-1975 and he (Tucker) was ten years older than Corelli.

But they have never been replaced. Giacomini might have filled the bill
somewhat but was very inconsistent. Who have the great Don Alvaros and
Manricos and Cheniers been since that time? None that could hold a candle
to Corelli, Tucker and Bergonzi, IMO.

Ed

--
www.premiereopera.com