Subject: Re: Robert Merrill - A Verdi Baritone?
From: Premiere Opera <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 30 Mar 2012 18:41:50 -0400

I think Merrill was the epitome of a Verdian baritone. I believe he holds
the Met record for many roles, including Renato in Ballo and Germont in
Traviata, and he sang many Rigoletto performances, as well as Rodrigo in
Don Carlo, for which he also holds the Met record for most performances, di
Luna in Trovatore, Don Carlo in Forza, and perhaps one or two more, in
addition to his many non Verdi roles.

Merrill had an emission of sound that was a miracle. It sounded and was
100% natural, IMO. Warren, whom I also thought was great, had a much more
"fabricato," manufactured sound.

And Merrill, even with that gorgeous voice, could "roar" with the best of
them. His "Finalmente" in the last act Forza duet, and "sua Padre" in his
entrace in Aida were the biggest sounds I have ever heard.

Without forcing, Merrill had a huge voice, though he was somewhat taken for
granted at the Met since he sang over 800 performances with that company.

For me, there will never be a more beautiful voice than Robert Merrill.

Ed

--
www.premiereopera.com