Subject: Helen Traubel
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 30 Mar 2012 17:19:34 -0400

From my always humble perch, I will unequivocally state that from what I
have heard in recorded evidence, there were two supremely great female
American  voices..  Rosa Ponselle and Helen Traubel.  Both totally unique.
Neither happy with the extreme end of the dramatic soprano scale.  There  were
many great American sopranos and mezzos' but to me, Ponselle and Traubel
remain supreme on the top of the pile.  I think in my experience, the only
other one who had any thing approaching their vocal richness was Jessye Norman
and we all know she was never very happy at the extreme top either.

Don