Subject: Re: "Hansel and Gretel" at the Met, Dec 16th - a tenor Witch
From: Ulrik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 19 Dec 2011 00:25:40 -0500

Having heard H&G with a soprano or mezzo as the Witch and also with a
tenor, I find that the music works much, much better with a female singer
(chacun a son gout). I wonder if any listers could provide some insight in the
background and reasons for using a tenor in this part? Is it an alternative
approved by the composer, when did this tradition start etc. And why does
this seem to be catching more and more on?

Thanks

Ulrik