Subject: Re: Domingo as conductor of "Butterfly", yesterday.
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 18 Dec 2011 20:59:21 -0500

...and it all started with a really ragged entrance from the violins in the
very first bar of the performance. I would have to assume this was
Domingo being unclear, rather than anything wrong with the violin
section, who have surely played this piece enough to feel it together
without a conductor at all, lol. What a way to start the opera...

On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 15:32:56 -0500, Bob Rideout
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Paul
>
>I agree that sabotage is much too strong a word, and it carries
>the intimation of "deliberate" which is crazy.
>
>Having said that, and having a long history of defending Domingo
>on this list, yesteray's performance was inept.  I'm not refering to
>tempi, which is always a matter of taste, but his ability to hold the
>complexities of orchestral and vocal music together.  It is hard to
>know where to place the blame for Buterfly's dreadful entrance.
>He is not responsible for her intonation, but he may be very
>culpable for her seeming confusion midway through the piece, and
>he definitely shares responsibility for the meanderings of both
>soloists in the duet.  The last act went better (I took a pass on
>the second) but it was no better than passable, to my ears.
>
>Like you, I enjoyed the interlude!  Nothing is absolute.
>
>Bob

>[log in to unmask] containing only the words:  SET OPERA-L
NOMAIL