Subject: Re: No more tenor Witches!!!
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 18 Dec 2011 13:05:21 -0500

But Mike - what of the BARITONE who sings Nicklausse on the old
Gedda recording of Hoffmann? I've always thought that to be a very
odd choice.

Back to the very original post - I don't mind tenor witches so much, but -
and I realize I'm opening a huge can of worms here = if you're going to
do "Hansel And Gretel" in English, I'd prefer everyone in the cast to be
comfortable with the language (unlike the met's current Gretel, who
sang fine, but who really sounded awful dealing with a language that
clearly isn't hers).

(I know, I know - singers sing in languages not their own all the time.
But it SEEMS more of a problem when it's your language that's being
crucified, lol. And it seems to me I don't hear performances of opera
TRANSLATED INTO English sung by foreign singers that much.)

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 21:59:30 -0500, Mike Begley
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I would add Susanne Mentzer to the list of wonderful mezzo Zerlinas -
I saw
>her in a Chicago production with James Morris, Bryn Terfel, Luba
Orgonasova,
>Frank Lopardo, and Carol Vaness (Donna Elvira).  With a fine
conductor it
>could have been a great performance - as it was, most of the
individual
>singers' contributions were very good (Orgonasova was too light a
voice for
>Donna Anna, IMHO).
>
>I actually prefer a mezzo in the role - the music just sounds trivial in a
>light soprano's voice (again, IMHO).
>
>Regarding Faust - there is also a CD issue of a Scala Faust where Luigi
Alva
>sings Siebel; Raimondi and Ghiaurov are the Faust and Mephisto.
>
>For myself, I'd like to be spared further tenors as Romeo in "I Capuletti
ed
>I Montecchi" (Aragall did it in a production with Scotto and Pavarotti
(as
>Tebaldo); or as Prince Charming in Massenet's "Cendrillon" (much as I
loved
>most of his work, Gedda pretty much spoils the Columbia recording).
>
>Damn tenors!  Don't they get enough roles anyway?
>
>Mike Begley
>(baritone)

Rossini
>singers in my opinion, easily equal if not better than Berganza or
Bartoli.
>She was a fine Zerlina and I saw her in the role.
>
>Re tenor Siebel's  I have never seen one but the  great Salvatore
Fisichella
>sang the role in Rome in 1972 with Gedda as Faut, Freni as
Marguerite,
>Ghiaurov as Mephistopheles and Robert Massard as Valentin under
Pretre!

>[log in to unmask] containing only the words:  SET OPERA-L
NOMAIL