Subject: Re: No more tenor Witches!!!
From: David Shengold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 17 Dec 2011 10:37:29 -0500

I agree with Jim. There have been several mezzo Zerlinas well worth
hearing, certainly Rosalind Elias, Patricia Kern and Teresa Berganza who
collectively got the ball rolling on this trend.

But as to the origlnal post: brilliant as Philip Langridge's interpretation
was in the current Met H & G, the person I have heard make the most effect
in the same production ( heard in Chicago) was Eugenie Grunewald, a dramatic
mezzo-- as Humperdinck specified.

I would add "no more countertenor or baritone Orlovskys" to the list.

Has anyone here ever seen a tenor Siebel or Frederic (MIGNON) in the
theater? The cases are somewhat different, but how did that go?

Best- David Shengold