Subject: Bolshoi Nutcracker Great but LIVE transmission scam
From: Victor Han <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 20 Dec 2011 19:06:41 -0500

Dear Opera-L
I beg forgiveness for a slight transgression out of strictly opera and into ballet
territory. However I think it is important - with the proliferation of so-
called "live" and HD "transmissions" that we al become aware of the
shortchanging that can ocur.

Not everything is to the high standards of the MET broadcasts.

I will reproduce below the letter I sent to Cineplex corporate. it is self
explanatory and if any of you had the same experience, I suggest strongly to
make yourself heard, and stad up to our rights to honest artistic
representations.

I must say that the recorded performance from the Bolshoi was outstanding,
in both technique and deep cultured coreography. However it was not a LIVE
transmission as sold, anything but. Here is the text I sent below:

===============Text of my letter=============
Dear Cineplex,

Sunday Dec 18 we had tickets for a LIVE transmission of the Nutcracker Ballet
from the Bolshoi. Our tickets were at the Collisee Kirkland on the Montreal
West Island.

The Bolshoi Ballet is fine but your ''live'' show was not.

In fact it was unacceptable abuse.

1. The live show was substituted with a recording time stamped 2010.

2. There was no notice of this substitution. The least that should have
happened should be an apology due to unforeseen circumstances, Bolshoi
cancelled and we must substitute and perhaps offer a refund or bonus.

3. Instead of the customary intermission features we were treated to 20
minutes staring at a fixed image on a screen. If you play a recording why have
a 20 minutes pause?

4. The recording was rather inferior not to the standard of the Pathe
transmissions.

5. The stage was the small un-renovated stage of course.

6. Before the show I did go onto the Bolshoi website and as that there was no
Nutcracker live that day but the opera Eugene Onegin, so I suspected
something wrong.

7. I can buy a blue ray DVD anytime and do not need to spend money to see
it in your theatres under the false pretence of EVENT.

8. Granted, Bolshoi behaviour in this is not exactly up to snuff, their website is
incomplete and unfinished, but my contract , my ticket was with Cineplex not
Pathe and not Bolshoi.

9. If this is the way you intend to treat customers and Events, please let me
know and I would be glad to advertise it for you on a number of classical
music internet forums where I can make this message known to a few
thousand people all music lovers all over the world.

I require a satisfactory explanation. Your manager at Kirkland knew that
Bolshoi had cancelled, as I interrogated him after the show.

Why did you not notify your customers that you are playing a blue ray not a
live show?

If you played a DVD why did you keep us 20 minutes intermission staring at a
fixed picture? This looks like trying to conceal the substitution.

Finally it is inexcusable to treat your customers as a bunch of idiots. That is
how we felt.

Victor Han