Subject: La Fille Du Regiment and Bel Canto in General
From: Cmorgan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 15 Dec 2011 00:25:06 -0500

Yes, Pav was catapaulted to stardom by the high C's and Bel Canto
with Sutherland in general gave him his bigger break.

But who else excpt for Blake could continue those notes way back then?
Krause comes to mind, but I only heard him at age 65 in that horrible
Zimmerman production of Lucia.

You don't have to necessarily like the voices, but you DO have to give
due credit to Blake (which JDF doesn't) and his increcible technique. If
it wasn't  for him there would have been NO Bel Canto resurgance
because of a lack of colotura tenors (yes we had Ramey and Horne, but
NO tenor).

It doesn't matter if you like Blake or not, but his contribution to Bel
Canto is really ignored. I find that very sad. Yet it was a HUGE
contribution. He was also the first winner of the Tucker award. Not
shabby in the least. He seems to be a singer that people love to hate.
Please give him his due for forwarding Bel Canot to where it is today --
many wonderful singers. They did'nt exist in the 1980's!

Just my HMO.