Subject: Re: "Hansel and Gretel" at the Met, Dec 16th - a tenor Witch
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Mon, 19 Dec 2011 09:05:44 -0500

The Met database shows that the company first used a tenor witch on Dec. 25,
1910 (as well as other performances in the 1910-11 season).  That Dec. 25
performance was attended by Humperdinck, who was brought out for a curtain
call.

Those of us who know our old recordings will recognize the 1910 witch:  Albert
Reiss, who participates as Mime in the ca. 1930 recordings of Siegfried with
Melchior.  I wonder how many singers can claim to have included both the Witch
and Mime in their repertoires.

I suppose companies use a male witch for variety of sound, but I much prefer a
woman's voice in the role.

   Listowner: OPERA-L ; SMT-TALK ; SMT-ANNOUNCE ; SoundForge-users