Subject: Question on performance protocol
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Sun, 18 Dec 2011 19:09:09 -0500

HI, Y'all!
    My understanding (from posts and descriptions of  people who were
there) is that just after the unfortunate accident to Wendy  White during
Saturday night's performance of "Faust,"  Rene Pape both  gestured and vocally
asked for a curtain; and that Jonas Kaufmann formally  requested for the
conductor to stop the performance.  Are individual  performers at the Met actually
authorized to do any of these things?  I  thought that the ONLY person who
could stop a Met performance in  mid-flight was the stage manager in chief,
who is actually calling the  show and who is theoretically in total command
of the performance.   Have I misunderstood the protocol?  Are things
different at the Met?   Are performers there completely free to do "anything they
might consider  helpful" when they witness an emergency from their individual
perspectives  onstage?  Our list includes MANY "stage people," and even
singers who have  actually performed at the Met.  I hope that they might shed
some light on  what the true correct procedures are.  I have heard of
situations (not at  the Met, however) where the conductor has stopped a performance
because the  musical values have become so totally unglued that he needs to
stop  and regroup.  Are there clear-cut understandings about how desperate a
 situation must be before he is entitled to do that?
    Cheers,
    Dennis Ryan