Subject: Domingo As Conductor
From: "A.C. Douglas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 18 Dec 2011 18:48:56 -0500

>Having said that, and having a long history of defending Domingo on this
>list, yesteray's performance was inept. I'm not refering to tempi, which is
>always a matter of taste....

=== Begin Quote ===
# The whole duty of a conductor is comprised in his ability always to
indicate the right tempo. His choice of tempi will show whether he
understands the piece or not. With good players, again, the true tempo
induces correct phrasing and expression, and conversely, with a conductor,
the idea of appropriate phrasing and expression will induce the conception
of the true tempo.

# [T]he question of tempo ... is the point at which it becomes evident
whether a conductor understands his business or not.

# I know of no-one to whom I would confidently entrust a single tempo in one
of my operas.

—Richard Wagner, from, Über das Dirigieren (On Conducting), 1869,
Translation: Edward Dannreuther

(For those unaware of the fact, Wagner was generally considered to be
perhaps the greatest conductor of his generation.)
=== End Quote ===

>Give me a break, please. [Domingo] is not a great conductor, nor is he
>awful.

Yes, he is. About as awful as awful can be.

--
ACD
http://www.soundsandfury.com/