Subject: Re: A glimpse of a great production of Don Giovanni that never was
From: Donald Kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 18 Dec 2011 11:25:54 -0500

I can't help but defend what you call romantically
pictorial.
In my opinion that is what most operas in the standard
repertory require scenically, the music itself being in most
cases exactly that, even DON GIOVANNI.  Didn't Albert
Innaurato put that particular work in its place rather
neatly just a few weeks ago?

I have to admit that your description of the way styles of
performance change from era to era is very hard to
dispute, but I would suggest that it is perhaps a matter of
degree, with the current rage for "Regie" being an example
of the *in your face* extremity that happens to prevail in
most theatrical endeavors at this moment.  It is possible
to detect here and there a tendency to approve things
described as retro, so a romantic revival could be just
around the corner.

I never thought of Olivier's HAMLET as film noir; instead,
it  looked to me as though he had been delivered costumes
for SWAN LAKE, and couldn't afford to replace them.  [Or
was it yet another chance to put the thighs on display?]

Donald Kane