Subject: Re: Domingo booed in Boheme a few years ago!!
From: Robert Cardinalli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 21 Dec 2011 15:55:06 +0200

Booing any performer to me is the height of demonstration of complete
disrespect for art. It is a form of humiliation, usually coming from people
lacking in talent and self-esteem.  Anyone who ventures on to the stage,
shows up on time and demonstrates sincerity to the public, deserves at
least to be afforded a polite reception.  A performance may fall short of
expectation in which case the appropriate response is to do nothing or sit
on your hands.  I once encountered someone on the Opera List at the NYCO
actively booing and shaking his fist when a certain singer (in this case,
Ms. Flanigan) appeared for a solo curtain call.  I asked him why he didn't
leave his childish behavior in the sandbox, and he said it was people like
me, who tolerate mediocrity, that are the mainstay of the problem in the
arts today.  People who attend opera should display a modicum of
decorum; booing, hissing, vegetable throwing, etc. has no place in decent
society---such perpetrators had better hie off to the nearest roller derby
arena where they are free to mix with their own kind.