Subject: Re: Brava Angela Meade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
From: Stephen Charitan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 22 Oct 2011 11:00:07 -0400

Meade did indeed nail it - up to a point.  I was surprised that the voice
has such a wide vibrato.  This is not the sort of vibrato one experiences
with an aging voice but rather one that is an inherent component of the
vocal makeup.  Examples include Joseph Calleja, Pilar Lorengar, and further
back Conchita Supervia.  Speaking as a matter of personal taste, I feel that
in the case of Lorengar and Calleja, that vibrato warms the voice and lends
an exciting "buzz" to their sound.  Supervia's was so pronounced that the
effect was like a perpetual flutter that, again to my ears compromised many
other fine qualities.

Meade's vibrato was not as pronounced as Supervia's but I was constantly
aware of it until she sailed upwards and it seemed to dissipate somewhat.
In fact, I wonder if her ability to trill effectively is not helped by that
prominent vibrato.  In the final set of rising trills in "Coppia Iniqua" I
was not really sure what was going on - was she actually trilling or simply
"leaning into" her vibrato?  Whatever it was it was dramatic and effective
and she deserved the ovation.

Compared to Netrebko's darker, more complex timbre, Meade's brighter voice
was a trifle generic.   Like "Norma" "Bolena" is a huge role and there are
many ways to achieve success as well as pitfalls to trap the overly
ambitious.  What is wonderful about these Bel Canto operas is their
elasticity in terms of accommodating the individual gifts of accomplished
singers.  The MET is lucky enough to have 2 world class Bolena's to share
with their audience.  I think their decision to build the work around
Netrebko was the right one, but they were equally right to spotlight the
Meade alternative.

Of course, my remarks are based on the Sirius broadcast so I can't judge the
impact in the house.  I will catch Meade live in "Ernani" in Feb. along with
Netrebko's "Bolena."

Steve Charitan
Hudson, OH