Subject: Calleja at Le Poisson Rouge and Upshaw at Tufts
From: Angelo Mammano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 24 Oct 2011 18:35:26 -0400

Remarkably no one has mentioned that the recital going on at 7:30 tonight in
New York at Le Poisson Rouge is being shown live on video through NPR.  I
tried WCRB here in Boston - it should be available for anyone to watch.

BTW last week- on October 20, I attended a wonderful recital by Dawn
Upshaw. I am sure that she was mentioned recently in connection with
postings on De Gaetani.  It was at nearby Tufts University (only minutes from
Arlington).  There was no printed program as such.  She and pianist
collaborator Gilbert Kalish announced and described the selections before
performing them.  She sang songs by Ives, Schumann (including Widming) and
Schubert -also some of the Nursery Songs of Mousorgsky.

Debussy's Arriettes Oubliees also were on the program, and a piece by Ruth
Crawford Seeger.  Kalish played the Alcott movement form the Concord
Sonata and  a Brahms Intermezzo.  The program lasted 2 and a half hours and
the open seating arrangement meant that we could sit in the very front row of
the beautiful Distler Performance  Hall of the Granoff Music Center.

She looked like the Dawn Upshaw of old- her voice just as unmistakeable and
beautiful as ever.  She communicates easily - no affectations, no pretense.
Everything she sang was special to us because it was special to her.

Tommorrow Marcus Haddock gives a master class at the New England
Conservatory and very soon Christine Brewer will begin a three-day residency
at the Boston Conservatory.

Thank heavens for the schools in Boston - so many good things going on all
the time.

Angelo from Boston