Subject: Re: NPR's Wild, Wonderful World of Opera
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 22 Oct 2011 00:26:24 -0400

ALMOST right on the Spanish pronunciation. But it's not "ho-tay" - the
"h" is really a gutteral "ch" (as in the German "ach") - and "ay"
suggests a diphthong, which would not be right in Spanish - it's much
closer to "teh" than "tay."

But yes, if we're talking about the French opera title, that's a donkey of
another color, lol.

In terms of Simeone - I was the one some time ago that took her to
task out here for using the Spanish pronunciation of Alvaro in "Forza"
for no obvious reason (it's not set that way by Verdi, and no other
names got the specific Spanish treatment by Simeone) - and the
message I seemed to get from everyone out here was was "eh, it's no
big deal." So no one better dare start complaining about her now, lol.

I have a good friend (and musician colleague) who isn't really an opera
buff but isn't ignorant of it either - he has this habit of pronouncing
certain titles wrong - I swear he does it just because he knows I'll try to
correct him, lol. "Ye-NOO-fa" and "Vo-check" among them...drives me up
the wall, but hey, what are friends for? ;-)

<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

>> On Oct 21, 2011, at 3:26 PM, Tony's Comcast account wrote:
>>
>> > How does one pronounce Don Quixote ?
>>

>> an approximation:  Don Key (as in key to the door) shut.  Don Key
shut.

NOMAIL
>[log in to unmask] containing only the words:  SET OPERA-L
NOMAIL