Subject: Re: Callas - Aida and
From: hermine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 23 Oct 2011 19:54:54 -0700

At 03:10 PM 10/23/2011, Howard Fink wrote:
>Someone sent me a highlight of one of Callas' Mexico Aidas which was
>not recorded complete. The O Patria Mia is about the most beautiful
>and deeply felt I have ever heard. Aida might not have been one of
>her greatest roles, but to say that she was not successful in it is
>plain silly!

My husband just asked me what was the diff between those showoff
notes when they are righteous and when they are just frippery and i
said, (off the top of my head), they are RIGHT if they push forward
the ART, if they further the drama. and if they do not, they are self
indulgent, and like cheap costume jewelry.  Even whilst perhaps not
understanding the language a person got the idea that there was a
hell of a lot of emotion leaking out all over the stage.

Hermine