Subject: Callas - Aida and
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 23 Oct 2011 18:04:40 -0400

Hello everybody

She sang the role over thirty times in a six year period.  She sang
Lady Macbeth in one revival in 1952, one revival of "Nabucco" in
1949 and, and, and.  Are you prepared to tell us that she gave up
those "one shots" and about a dozen others because she was not
successful in them?  Among her triumphs in the role, and not just
because of the top Eb, was at Mexico City in 1950.  She repeated
that success in 1951.  Mexico City was not accustomed to back
to back seasons in the same role, so, she must have been doing
something right.  Do I think it one of her greatest roles, no!  But it
was far from a failure during the years in which she was singing it.
In fact, it was a triumph in more than one theater!

The EMI recording has its great moments, but not enough, I agree.
So, if one wants to denigrate her accomplishment in some of her
roles, there is evidence to support that "position".  But, if one wants
to present an level view, there is more than enough to balance
those scales.  It all depends on your agenda!

For what it's worth, I know no one who has been less than awed
by both the totality of her Aida in Mexico, AND that Eb!

Bob