Subject: Re: Marilyn Horne Remembers Triumphs, Battles and 'Singing Everything'
From: "A.C. Douglas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 28 Oct 2011 23:44:17 -0400

Lloyd William Hanson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Wagner tried to overcome the effect his extremely large orchestras had on
>his desire bel canto singers by keeping a major part of the orchestra under
>the stage with baffles to throw the orchestral sound back unto the stage
>where it could mix with the singers voices and then, mixed together, be
>presented to the audience. His solution was all acoustical.

As the old saw goes, if I had a buck for each time I've read that bit of
revisionist history I'd be a wealthy man.

Wagner sunk his orchestra out of sight in the Festspielhaus for reasons
visual, not acoustic. The acoustical benefits that resulted were merely a
happy accident, not a planned effect. And I don't quite know what your "his
[Wagner's] desire bel canto singers" is supposed to mean, but bel canto
singing and Wagner is a contradiction in terms. The idea that Wagner wanted
his singers to sing in the bel canto tradition is a persistent urban legend
that simply refuses to die, especially among Italian opera aficionados.

--
ACD
http://www.soundsandfury.com/