Subject: Re: Cura as he looks and sounds in 2011
From: David Bennett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 28 Oct 2011 21:27:25 +0100

Terrible. Unfortunately I stumbled across a recording of him in a duet from Aida (from 2010) which must be the worst recording I have ever heard of this music. Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILHxrj7zUnI

His Vesti la giubba is certainly the hammiest singing I have heard in a long time and among the worst vocalised - God alone knows if he will be invited back to La Scala-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWiulVglfV0&feature=fvst

To think of the promise he showed in some of his 1990s work - e.g. Samson et Dalila with Colin Davis - it is a real shame. I have never been his biggest fan but I just can't see how he can come back from this sort of form. Even when you think of a singer like  Di Stefano who suffered an early decline  (think of him around 1970 when he was 49, the same age as Cura) there was still some style and charm to hold things together - I'm not sure Cura even has that. One can only hope that he can perhaps venture into song repertoire or something appropriate.

David