Subject: Re: NPR's Wild, Wonderful World of Opera
From: Idia Legray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 22 Oct 2011 13:46:04 -0400

"I have a good friend (and musician colleague) who isn't really an opera
buff but isn't ignorant of it either - he has this habit of pronouncing
certain titles wrong - I swear he does it just because he knows I'll try to
correct him, lol. "Ye-NOO-fa"..."

Ironically, if you see or listen to the opera, you will be surprised to hear that
your friend's pronunciation is exactly the way the cast pronounces it.
I was so shocked that I posed the question on another opera forum and a
knowledgable conductor insisted that the only reason they did that was
because it "sings" better that way, but that the true pronunciation is
actually 'YEN-oo-fah.