Subject: Re: Callas - In her own words?
From: David Shengold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 27 Oct 2011 12:00:46 -0400

Callas the speaking voice (like terrible, awful Gencer and Negri) shows
unsupported tension compromising equality of registers so perfect in Tebaldi's
speech of thanks to Rio de Janiero audience after a sublime AIDA of 1950.

Ugly Manhattan gutter accent also mars talking by Callas. Later, fake British
upper class as in case of another soprano who is nullity next to Tebaldi, the
Norman.

Fake, contemptible Assolutas incapable of speaking or singing. Fire Mountain is
angry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydhyoYHvXXg&feature=related

I haff spoken.

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 08:53:24 -0500, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>Maybe its all the Bolena Babble of late, but I've once again fallen under the
spell of that Great Alchemist - Maria Callas.  She can often exhaust me
because I can never listen to her casually - she always forces me to engage
because she herself is never less than fully engaged.  I have become
especially fixated on some of her late career Verdi recordings - a gut
wrenching "Ritorna Vincitor," a deeply felt "Arrigo! Ah, parli a un core," and the
quiet desperation and dignity of "Non pianger, mia compagna."  Nothing is
exaggerated, no "effects" are grafted onto the music but in all of these her
voice alone becomes the only mise en scene needed to bring these women to
life.