Subject: Re: Brava Angela Meade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
From: Ron Magnuson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 22 Oct 2011 12:18:23 -0400

On Oct 22, 2011, at 11:00 AM, Stephen Charitan wrote:

>  In the final set of rising trills in "Coppia Iniqua" I
> was not really sure what was going on - was she actually trilling or simply
> "leaning into" her vibrato?  Whatever it was it was dramatic and effective
> and she deserved the ovation

I had the same reaction listening on Sirius on my home tuner.  Overall it was a fine performance.  While she does not have the most gorgeous voice in the world, she uses it intelligently and in keeping with the Bel canto style.  She floated some lovely high C's, cleanly executed the runs, varied her dynamics effectively and seamlessly connected her entire range with a lovely legato.  She is able to declaim the Italian text convincingly and inhabited the character going from stunned and confused to alarmed and finally outraged and defiant.  I could believe that she was the abused and humiliated queen.  A tour de force, really.

Ron Magnuson