Subject: Re: Best Tristan recording
From: "B. Carlton" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 25 Oct 2011 12:56:00 -0700

I've always been partial to the 1943 studio recording with the great, under-recorded Heger conducting Max Lorenz (in his prime), Paula Buchner, and Margarete Klose:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t79hMtvgdI
I doubt this recording will ever get the reputation that Furtwangler or Kleiber's great versions have, and it's not pleasant to think about the context of any German recording made in 1943. But it's the one I usually turn to, and it ought to be better known. No music-lover should deprive her/himself of hearing what Heger does with orchestral detail. Quite a bit of it is on youtube, to give you an idea.