Subject: Re: NPR's Wild, Wonderful World of Opera
From: David Geary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 22 Oct 2011 17:36:25 +0200

>Didn't I read that in Madrid ...and in all of Spain...there isn't a single
>street or town named after Miguel de Cervantes, as noted in an article that
>appeared in the NY TIMES some years ago... inferring Cervantes was more
>beloved in foreign countries than in Spain itself.  How can this be?

You may have read it, but a quick look on Google earth turned up streets
named after Cervantes in Barcelona, Madrid, Sevilla, Granada, Algeciras,
Cadiz, Ibiza, and avenues in Malaga and Alora. And those were just the
towns I looked for. None of the towns I looked for by name showed up as
not having one.
I live a fair amount of time in the year in Spain, and can say that Don
Quichotte is definitely the most famous and beloved book in that
country.

David