Subject: Re: For Halloween
From: Theresa Muir <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 25 Oct 2011 13:07:12 -0400

For the various Orfeos, I have to say that the infernal spirits don't scare me much-- Monteverdi's are rather philosophical, scold-y, and even a bit jaunty-- but not scary.

Don Giovanni's gang, led by the Commendatore, however, always do the trick.  Amazing what a simple diminished chord can still do.

Theresa

>Okay. Thanks.
>But, WHAT OPERAS contain scary music appropriate  for All Hallows' Eve?
>For example the obvious, Salome, the various  versions of Faust, Donald
>Giovanni, Der Freischutz (Excluding Verdi's  Requiem). What about various
>Orfeos?
>

>"Lux et Veritas"
>I have no financial  commitments with any mentioned institutions.
>This PC is protected by Norton,  McAfee, Malware and AOL.
>Lloyd Luzerne Thoms Jr. Greenville. Wilmington,  Delaware. United States.
>Tower Hill School '42. Yale College '45W

>In a message dated 10/25/2011 8:05:58 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
>[log in to unmask] writes:
>
>http://www.soundsandfury.com/soundsandfury/2011/10/for-halloween.html

Theresa Muir
http://humanitas.blogspot.com