Subject: Re: Best Tristan recording
From: Jim Bodge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 25 Oct 2011 16:50:54 -0400

My completely personal, biased and singular opinion leans towards
either the Furtwangler EMI set or Von Karajan's Bayreuth performance
from roughly the same year (1952).

I tend towards Karajan and Modl, while acknowledging the genius of
Flagstad.  I like both tenors - and I always have.  It was much too
late for Melchior anyhow.

For modern sound, I am quite happy with Bohm at Bayreuth in 1966.
Yes, it's "live", or under performance conditions, anyhow (some of
the dress rehearsal is used).  Many find this a cold, rapid traversal
of the score, and Bohm  conducting is the least of the set's
accomplishments.  It's good, decent stereo plus two towering
performances of the leads and excellent supporting artists.  Later
recordings in better sound do not have Nilsson or Windgassen.

Still, I think the recent Pappano/Domingo effort for EMI is an
excellent pieced-together-in-the-studio kind of recording.

Three fine videos (two from Bayreuth and one from LaScala) all
feature the outstanding conducting of Barenboim and any one of them
shoujld make a Wagner fan happy.  I slightly prefer either of the
sets with Waltraud Meier over the one with her American namesake,
Joanna Meier.  But the latter has the absolutely gorgeous, drop dead
scenery of Jean Pierre Ponnelle.  All three have fine supporting
casts.

Bernstein's set is best for his work.  It's sad about Peter Hofmann,
but it just doesn't work, and Behrens can't carry the work alone.
Goodall's set is astonishing, considering the venue and the fact that
these singers really didn't do this opera all that often.  But it's
hardly a "first-choice" set.

Another video, if you can find it:  the Wieland Wagner Bayreuth
production transferred to the Osaka Festival in Japan in 1967.  It's
in black and white, and very primitive video at that.  But it
preserves the flavor of that astonishing production.  And the cast!!
Nilsson, Windgassen, Hotter and Hertha Topper conducted by Pierre
Boulez.  'Nuff said.  By me, at any rate.

Jim Bodge

--
Jim Bodge

You really only need two things:  Duct Tape and WD-40.  If it's
moving and it shouldn't, use duct tape.  If it won't move and it
should, use WD-40.