Subject: Best Tristan recording
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 25 Oct 2011 16:34:08 -0400

A few comments.

The conducting I most enjoy is by Furtwangler, though I'm not as
nuts about the rest of the EMI set as others seem to be.

In stereo, I'll stick with the Bohm, Nilsson et al, and among the et als
I find Christa Ludwig the most impressive of any on record, studio
or otherwise.

But the one I usually turn to when I want to hear the vocal demands
of the two protagonists fully realized is the performance from
Covent Garden in 1936 (or 37).  Any caveats about Melchior are
swept away by the sheer power and security of his voice and its
physical presence.   There are no caveats about Flagstad.  It
is an incredible document, one that defines my idea of as close to
perfection as this World has ever been able to offer.  The Narration
and curse is in a place apart from almost anything I've ever heard.
Kalter and Klose - Klose is, I guess, marginally better, Janssen is
fine, and Reiner and Beecham are miles apart, but both are effective
if iidiosybcratic.  You'll probably prefer Reiner.  I do!

While I consider sonics very important, particularly in Wagner, if I
were forced to choose only one, it would be Covent Garden 36.

Bob