Subject: Re: "Don Carlos" at the Met: Nov 22
From: L L Koster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 23 Nov 2010 13:25:17 -0800

I was listening to the broadcast and had wondered if the production had really
chosen to eliminate any ambiguity about Carlo's fate at the end.  How often has
this interpretation been staged, I wonder?

 It also was interesting to know how well the performance played and sounded in
the house as I had reservations when I found Alagna was slated to sing Carlo.
 Although he was an impressive interpreter in the French Carlos over a decade
ago, I was unsure until I heard him last night that at this point he could
creditably handle the Italian version.  I think he sounded better than he has in
many years and although I might have wanted a more sweeping vocal arc in his
Carlo, it was a fine lyric tenor performance and suitably scaled to Keenlyside's
finely wrought, somewhat dry sounding Posa and to Carlo's touching, if rather
pale, less than spinto Elisabetta. Smirnova's Eboli was not in scale, on the
other hand, powerful but undisciplined singing, especially out of her element in
the canzone del velo and probably more effective if seen. Furlanetto has only
gotten better at pulling out all the emotional shades of Phillip vocally and the
interview with the Grand Inquisitor and the interchanges with Posa were powerful
moments to me. "Carlo" is a grand, very noble opera and of all Verdi, the work
where, to me, the elements comes together best musically, dramatically and
thematically.  I get as carried away as I think the music director did last
night, sometimes allowing pacing and dynamics to roll over rather than support
the cast, but I do believe that by the time I am able to take it in again in HD,
the only way I can at present, some of the hesitancy and rough edges will have
been resolved to make this production one of the better choices of this season.

Thanks again for your "at the scene" report Idia.

LL Koster