Subject: Re: Spine-chilling lines
From: David Geary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 16 Jul 2010 10:22:33 +0200

> whomever it is that the Met has had doing the final scream in Cavalleria of
> late ("hanno ammazzato compare Turiddu"
There was that incredible performance of Cavalleria in Munich, I saw the
premiere Christmas day 1978. Rysanek and Domingo, and Varnay no less as
Mamma Lucia. At the end, SHE delivered the line (she wrote they couldn't
find anyone who could do it convincingly, she said "I could, but I'm on
stage" and the director said "Why not?") she looked off stage and
screamed "Hanno ammazato Turiddu!" and Rysanek repeated the line, still
sends sivers up my spine. Of all the many times I saw and heard Varnay,
what comes to my mind when I think of her is her cry "O jammer! Jammer!"
towards the end of the second act of Goetterdaeemerung.
Another line that has remained entrenched in my memory was also in
Goetterdaemmerung, with Kurt Boehme as Hagen after Siegfried has left at
the end of the first scene of act one, his cry "Mir aber bringt er den
Ring!!!!" was the most chilling moment of the whole cycle.
A singer no one here will know, but an excellent soprano called Anita
Salta in Augsburg as Katarina Ismaelowa. After she has been forced to
watch her step-father whipping Sergej, and then he says "I'm hungry" the
look on her face as she replied "Es gibt noch Pilze" still gives me
nightmares! (That was in german at that time, "There are still
mushrooms" but she doesn't rely on the mushrooms to do the work, she
laces the omelette with rat poison.)
Not singing, but on the DVD of Patricia Neway as Magda Sorel, the
horrible wretching sobs she gives as she discovers her child has died.
Almost too terribkle to watch.
Then, sorry, but back to Astrid, there was that crow of triumph she used
to give as Herodias when the head of Jochanaan appeared.

David