Subject: Re: dramatically sound operas was Re: Wackiest Opera plot?
From: Zachary Studt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 30 Apr 2010 17:19:13 -0400

So much righteous indignation in this thread! I don't see the problem
with a plot being absurd, wacky, or silly, so long as the librettist
and composer handle the material in an elegant way. I think that it's
the nature of the art form to prefer the out of the ordinary and
exotic. Think about all the operas that take place in foreign lands or
legendary times - most of these have pretty weird stories to go along
with them. This enhances the quality of the work rather than
diminishes it. Just think of how the dissonances in the score of
SALOME draw out the twisted, nightmarish absurdity of the scenario.
THE NOSE uses its wacky scenario to demonstrate the absurdity deeply
rooted in society. I don't think anyone is saying this diminishes
their value or enjoyability.

Zachary