Subject: Handel
From: Val Suan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 30 Apr 2010 10:11:19 -0700

The return of a Handel opera in Houston reminds me why this composer has really captured my heart,

It was the beautiful summer of 1998 in Cooperstown, New York. Glimmerglass Opera's PARTENOPE with David Daniels. I was listening to the only commercial recording from France with Rene Jacobs. My first Handel opera. I was smitten, captivated, ensnared.

Here's the YouTube posting of PARTENOPE and BEAR in mind the author labeled it France 2008 referring to the pictures. The music and audio portion is from the commercial recording , not 2008.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT_jhZVMioY&feature=related

Do NOT believe everything you see and hear on YouTube. I have seen clips where they inserted an audio portion to a different video segment. Get my drift?

Anyway, Handel brings out the simplicity and joy of music. Partenope brings it with such drama,VARIETY,and whimsy. I like this now better than all his operas including GIULIO CESARE. Partenope has touches of the Verdian drama, the refinement of Richard Strauss in his romantic operas and the Wagnerian flourishes of intriguing orchestration.  Baffled? Just attend a performance when it happens.

Off to XERXES tonight. Yes, yes, yes, I saw the ENO video with Ann Murray (available on YouTube), years ago. Lovely but bored me eventually. I hope to have a change of heart when I see it finally LIVE in my own backyard.