Subject: Re: Wackiest Opera plot?
From: Idia Legray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 30 Apr 2010 09:40:12 -0400

Dear Jim Bodge:
In attempting to explain SB you said:

"25 years later Maria has survived where the old lady has not and is now
known as Amelia."

Hold on!  How did that name come about, pray tell?

"She is the ward/heiress (even I'm not sure on that
point) of one Andrea - whom she does not know is Fiesco."

How did that come about??

"Most people lose track here, because Fiesco/Andrea doesn't know that Amelia
is Maria."

Wait a minute!  This is the entire reason that so many are confused, yet it
seems you yourself are puzzled!

"Andrea is disguised since he is a political enemy of Doge Simon, and this
enables him to frequent Genoa."

For what reason?  I still don't see how Amelia/Maria got to be a member of the
castle or even why.