Subject: Giuseppe Verdi's "Radames" at Covent Garden
From: Don Quixote <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 29 Apr 2010 18:43:04 -0400

We are in serious trouble when we can't even call this work "Amneris".  With the
exception of Marcelo Alvarez, the remaining principals were apparently selected from the
rejected candidates pool at the High School for the Arts.  And I am talking singing and
acting and more.

What are we heading towards (a brick wall?) with these campy, 1960s-Jetsons-era
productions of Verdi's works?  First the disastrous Metropolitan "Attila" and now this.

Witness this series of pictures
http://intermezzo.typepad.com/intermezzo/2010/04/royal-opera-houses-new-aida-in-
pictures.html#comments

And reviews thus far are on the side of atrocious (no, not the reviews)
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/stage/opera/article711
0732.ece

http://www.independent.co.uk/service/shortcut/verdi-aida-royal-opera-house-london-
1956770.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/apr/28/aida-review

Wasn't long ago when the arguably "dull" Moshinsky production was panned in certain
circles.  But at least the man gave his singers (and distinctive singers with personality he
was given) room to breath, if you know what I mean.  Always in retrospect.

In retrospect, Cheryl Studer and Luciana D'Intino, ladies and gents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-CovEmtF4g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMCX-iO9LKc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dDhUI1tDQc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEBuf3nQHiA